Monday, June 17, 2013

Before Midnight (2013)- One of the greatest films of all time (4 Stars)

Before Midnight is an hour and forty-six minutes long, but feels like thirty minutes tops. It is easily the year's best film so far (I say that a lot, but this is it by a landslide), and will easily nab a spot in my top three by 2014.



The film takes place between an afternoon and an evening, with many goings-on in between. Jesse is revealed to have been in a nine year relationship with Celine ever since he missed his plane in Before Sunset... and that's all I will reveal.

The film is chock-full of surprises. The screenplay, written by Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke and director Richard Linklater is simply magnificent. It is wise, funny, and powerful, sometimes all at once. Delpy is great, and so is Hawke, but the real surprise to me was Richard Linklater. He is 100% worthy of a Best Director Oscar because he is so nuanced and subtle. He does not try to insert his own directoral flourishes, and instead, he trusts the actors in their judgments. He has trained a conductor-less orchestra. It is terrific.

One of the most positive things I can say about any movie was that I could do without nothing. I can do without certain scenes in The Tree of Life, easily one of the best movies ever made. I compliment the crew for crafting a film so lean while being effective.

Seek this out if possible. It is the best moviegoing experience anyone can enjoy for the next few months, maybe for the whole year.

No comments:

Post a Comment