Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Avengers (2012): A Marvel (B+)

I can rest in peace now. I don't have to live with stating The Hunger Games is the best of 2012.

A lot of this film reminded me of Akira Kurosawa's masterful Ran. In that film, the Lord Hidetora says alone a man is weak, but together is strong. This is the definition of the Avengers, Earth's mightiest heroes.

I have to praise Joss Whedon's script, chock-full of pop culture and one liners. In a scene, Tony Stark/Iron Man calls Thor Point Break. If you know the backstory, Thor does look like Patrick Swayze.
In another scene, the savvy Stark calls Hawkeye 'Legolas'. Captain America gets his chops in, telling Hulk at the end to 'SMASH'!


I also give praise to the introductions of each character. All of the Avengers get their screen time, and their time to shine. Only having seen Iron Man and its sequel before this, I wasn't full prepared in my Hero Homework, but each backstory was provided well enough so it wasn't redundant or time consuming.

I have a minor complaint, though.  I found the pacing to be a bit off throughout the film. The beginning, is the worst. It is a spread out, slow moving car crash of superheroes. The film reaches a middle, and improves, which is good.

All in all, I liked The Avengers for it's script, and characters (ScarJo!), but found some awkward pacing.

No comments:

Post a Comment