Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Darjeeling Limited (2007), 3/4 Stars

I'm really not that familiar with Wes Anderson. I saw his Fantastic Mr. Fox, which is another 3 star movie. Either way, I'm happy that the Criterion Collection recognizes Mr. Anderson's work, because I intend on seeing more works by him. (Rushmore).

On to the movie. The film is very good, but not great. I felt it tried too hard to be sad, to hard to be happy, and too hard to be dramatic. Once the three brothers (Adrien Brody, Jason Schwartzman, and Owen Wilson,) board the train, it's very hard to believe that an Oscar winner, Schwartzman, and Gil from Midnight in Paris are all brothers.

However, there's a scene when they all go to their dad's funeral. From that scene, there are some very visible similarities. It's easy to see why Wes would cast Adrien Brody within his regulars Wilson and Schwartzman.

From the trailers, I thought that this would be a comedy with some family drama, but not much else. Instead, there's real heart, and the comedy is a chuckle, not a hoot.

Most of all, I hope that this film has a high count on being revisited. As for now, I recommend the film, and The Criterion Collection.

3/4 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment